This is a contract position and compensation is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
JOB DESCRIPTION PDF version: concord-singers-music-director
The Music Director is responsible for music selection, concert preparation and concert performance.
REPORTS TO: President and Board of Directors
- Plan an 80-90 minute stylistically balanced musical program including both sacred and secular for each concert – December and May. Programming will be subject to Board approval.
- Purchase or select music from existing music library. A music budget is provided each season.
- Audition and select soloists from the group when required by the score.
- Audition or select members of the chamber choir from the group.
- Engage instrumentalists subject to Board approval and budget limitations.
- Plan weekly rehearsals including section-specific rehearsals.
- Direct rehearsals and provide choral instruction to ensure high quality performances.
- Evaluate singers, ensuring effective vocal and section placement as well as seating.
- Provide and receive feedback with the Board President and discuss general program planning and artistic direction of the organization on an ongoing basis.
- Proven experience in leading and directing community choral groups, experience with treble voices is preferred.
- Flexible leadership ability and willingness to work with a range of experience and capability.
- Must live or work within reasonable commuting distance of Summit New Jersey.
- Knowledge of women’s SSA and/or SSAA repertoire and/or resources for finding new and interesting music that fits the spirit of the group is required.
- Keyboard skills are required. An accompanist is provided for all rehearsals and concerts.
- Current membership in the ACDA is a plus. Successful candidate will be required to join the ACDA to develop networking relationships and build familiarity with women’s repertoire.
January 31: Deadline to submit resume together with performance CDs or links and personal and professional references.
Resumes should be sent to email@example.com
By end of March: Interviews of potential candidates by Search Committee.
By end of April: Potential candidates will be invited to attend a Concord Singers rehearsal and conduct specific pieces selected by the Search Committee.
Before May 13: Final decision and offer. New director will be introduced at the May 13 concert of the Concord Singers at Calvary Church in Summit.